This four-hour practical workshop will provide you with an understanding for the necessary steps involved in getting started in star trail photography, from the initial planning stage, to setting up your camera and the final post processing process.
Set on top of the iconic kunanyi/Mt Wellington in Tasmania and gazing over the sprawling city of Hobart, you’ll join Nikon School Lecturer and landscape photographer, Ben Wilkinson for an interactive hands on workshop covering how to get started in star trail photography. Learn from Ben as he shares with you the secrets of his workflow and passion for capturing these shots that took many a cold night and numerous attempts to master.
This opportunity has been created for those with an intermediate knowledge of photography. With the help of expert Nikon School Lecturer Ben Wilkinson, you’ll quickly learn how to create a very technical image that would normally take many hours of research and frustration to master. You’ll also learn how to optimise your camera settings for outdoor environments, under evolving weather conditions.
The night’s order of events is weather-dependent, and as safety is our number one priority, postponement is always a remote possibility.
• 19:00 – Meet at the kunanyi / Mt Wellington Observatory
• 19:30 – A half hour lesson explain the tips and tricks required to ‘get the shot’
• 20:00 – Cameras set up with intervalometers running to capture
• 20:30 – Return to the Observatory for a post processing tutorial
• 23:00 – Closing comments online reporting and departure
Skill level: Intro to intermediate
• Equipment required to capture more images
• How to use an intervalometer
• How to create the circles
• Finding the south pole
• Processing star trails
What to bring
• DSLR or Mirrorless camera
• Fully charged camera batteries (more than one)
• Large capacity memory cards – 64GB minimum
• Wide angle lens (pref f/ 2.8)
• Pen and paper
• Head torch & torch
• Waterproof walking shoes, raincoat, hat, gloves and beanie
• Snacks & bottled water
• National Park entry fees
• Tutorials by Nikon School Lecturer Ben Wilkinson